Saturday, June 16, 2012

The Inspiration Behind Our First Collection


Ruby Giraffe's first collection is inspired by so many avenues and vices. The primary vices and avenues are my mother Valerie, my grandmother Ruby, the 1950s-the infinite future, the civil rights, the Harlem Renaissance, marine biology, Mermaids, Africa, Flowers, heaven, the planets,  Jazz, trees, oceans, Freaks ( weird kind not the sexual kind), circus clowns,  pain , gospel music and love.

 Visual dopeness inspired by the blues
Blue(s), the color and the music has greatly inspired this collection. My Grandmother passed away on March 12, 2011, my eldest niece's birthday. I was blue pretty much everyday after that. My grandmother was my world, she provided me with guidance, wisdom, laughter and abundance happiness. A few months after her death, my uncle Braxton sent a picture of my grandmother in her hospital gown and a royal blue trucker hat. My grandmother was an entertainer that loved laughter so I understood the motivation behind the picture. The picture was to keep us laughing and smiling long after she transitioned.





No comments:

Post a Comment