Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Love Story- Introduction of Braxton XVMI

I was on a slight hiatus now I BACK with hot fire. My aunt Nona passed away today. That being said, today is the perfect day to make memorial of something very beautiful- my grandparents' love for each other.

My grandparents, Ruby Jean and Braxton, met in the 1950s. My grandmother was working in his father's store. She had heard stories of Braxton fighting in Korea. One day, a handsome young man walks into the store and cuts a piece of cake without paying for it. My grandmother read him his rights. The owner of the store, my great-grandfather, says, " it's ok! that's my son".

My grandmother said my grandfather just laughed a haughty laugh. She hated him. He won her heart with a sweet, sincere gesture of love and neither one of them would ever tell us ( their grandchildren/child) what that was.  That is the way that love should be- grand, sincere and everlasting.

They did eventually get a divorce but they loved each other still through decades, through heart surgeries and beyond life. I often wondered who was the man that my Grandmother thought about on her death bed. I am sure that it was my Grandfather Braxton.

If my Grandmother Ruby Jean was alive, she would say, " you have a clothing line for me. What about your grandfather". So here is it:

 The Braxton D. XVMI Group

You may think that DXVMI are roman numerals, which they are. They are also the first initials of my nephews'names. I really have enjoyed drafting the patterns for this menswear.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment