Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Style Inspiration: The Imagination of a Child

Pablo Picasso famous quote goes, " Every child is an artist. The problem is staying an artist when you grow up". Children have the most fantastic and amazing imaginations. You know why? They are still "blank slates" full of purity and light. The "world", systematic thinking and conformity can't touch the free range of their creative souls.

My Nephew's masterpiece + Fabric from our collection
Look at any child's artwork, you will see impressions of Matisse, Picasso, Basquiat....it goes on and on. Their imaginary is infinite and unlimited. They don't know how to limit themselves creatively, they just create! I have wonderful nieces and nephews, at bedtime they make up the most outrageous and fantastic stories.

Today was very frustrating for me. I walked through the fashion capital of the world, looking for fabrics in various stores along Fashion Avenue ( 7th Avenue) and I was unimpressed. Honestly, every store basically has the same fabric. Much of the fabric was replica from the "hottest" runway shows of 2011/2012. I said to myself, " how can I ask my consumers not to be a part of  mainstream, carbon copy, cookie cutter norms, when I am visiting fabric stores that embrace these very ideologies"?

So I decided to use my imagination to create unique textiles for my consumers and the world! The best thing, I have not told you yet.....I still have the imagination of a child.

Be prepared....the change is coming.







No comments:

Post a Comment