Monday, June 25, 2012

Women are Snowflakes: Work It


I really don't know where to start. I will state this time and time again, "Ruby Giraffe's focus is not financial gain, it is empowerment". We want to empower individuals everywhere to love themselves regardless of economic status, weight, color, height, hair length and ( what I plan to discuss today) shape. This brand wants individuals to recognize their inner/outer beauty and not conform to harmful, mainstream ideologies of beauty. Our motto should be " be true to self".

I should have blogged this yesterday. Over the weekend, I conducted online and focus group research before creating the "body conscious" dresses for Ruby Giraffe. I ran across a video by my favorite Youtube Makeup Guru Jackie.


There were many women and even a 14 year old girl that stressed,"I wish that I had curves likes you, I am superskinny". One viewer went as far as saying:

U making me want to stay in the gym and just eat berries and leaves.
More comments from viewers:

Going to the gym today and eating clean starts today because of you! Lol!
If I had your body, I would also be loving body con clothing!
      
I was just gonna buy a big of chips, but after seeing this, I won't :p You look amazing!

GIRL!!!! u got a bad ass shape!!! just saying...JEALOUS...LOL love ya tutorials

These comments are representation of women in America.

Women are uncomfortable with their bodies because they want the "ideal", norm that society says is beautiful and acceptable. I know, I can relate. The women in my family are video vixen curvy and I am not. I know the stress of wishing that I could look like an Amber Rose, a Salem Hayek, a Kelly Rowland or a Beyonce, that's why I don't want that for anyone else.
Guess who taught me to love myself? Ruby Jean, my grandmother.

As a designer, I put my Grandmother's love and encouragement into a garment. I put God's love into a garment. When a Ruby Giraffe garment, wraps around you....you will feel the greatness in yourself.  I finished the body conscious dresses and they compliment every body.

I wrote something yesterday:

Human are like snowflakes.
Each one is a symbol of divinity.
Each one is unique, as it is never duplicated again in history.
They are beautiful works of art.
Each one is different, their beauty uncomparable.

Women are told to believe that one body type is better than the other. That is simply not true. Ruby Giraffe will never put you in a box....strange beauties!


A shape does not define you, you define it!




No comments:

Post a Comment