Thursday, June 21, 2012

Style Inspiration: Keith Haring

While walking through the subway ( NYC baby) in my neighborhood, I saw the strangest poster with a very abstract dog. The very next day, I read the poster and SURPRISE the poster was advertising a showing of Keith Haring's work. I thought that it would be cool to check out Keith Haring's work and I did. Haring was able to put the vibrancy and joy of youth into his art work. If you are ever having a bad day, I dare you to look at one of his pieces....You would be all smiles and giggles for the rest of the day.

Several weeks later, I am in Chelsea and I see the same dog tattooed on a guy's leg. I felt that the universe was telling me to incorporate Keith Haring into my work. Check out Kevin's bio  http://www.haring.com/about_haring/bio/ . I love that Kevin was friends with Jean-Michel Basquiat. I can see the similarities and the differences in their work. The life of Kevin Haring is both beautiful and tragic. Kevin was diagnosed with AIDS in 1988, the beautiful thing about Kevin was he founded the Kevin Haring Foundation to help others living with AIDS. He transitioned in 1990.

 Kevin's work inspired a dress that I am creating NOW as I type this. The Ruby Giraffe brand  is more than about fashion, it is about advocacy. I am very passionate about advocacy. My grandmother Ruby Jean was very passionate about advocacy. Generally, she was passionate about loving and healing anyone who was in need. In her memory and in the memory of Keith Haring, I feel that it only right that a portion of all Ruby Giraffe sales go to various advocacy groups.

I am going to post the different organizations that benefit when you purchase a Ruby Giraffe garment. The greatest thing is that Ruby Giraffe consumers will be fly and humanitarians at the same time.  















No comments:

Post a Comment